Saturday, August 31, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

When you're a student, you don't really get "vacations."  Even though the school system tells you there are a number of "breaks," "vacations," and "holidays" within a semester, they're lying.  Well, maybe not if you're a freshman and can afford to take a break.  But the further you get into school, the bigger the lie of the vacation is.  I was settled in at my desk for a long day of reading through three monographs, taking notes on them, and possibly doing a few of the logistical tasks that have been written on my To-Do whiteboard for ages.

And then my housemate said she was going mountain biking.

Dang.

On the one hand, that meant the house would be quiet and I could focus, and on the other, that meant no one would be around and I would probably end up watching half a season of Doctor Who or something.  I believed a compromise was in order.  I asked if I could come with.  She would bike for a few hours, and I would hike until I found a nice spot, get out my blanket, and do my reading in the lovely outdoors.

The view from my 'desk.'

Under a shady pine tree.


Wildflowers.

I will never get over New Mexico's skies.  Never.

The dry streambed behind my pine tree.

Wildflowers...with messed up camera settings.  

Grass.

Really.  Why would I do homework INSIDE?


1 comment:

  1. For real. Homework sucks but Homework Outside makes it marginally better, :)

    ReplyDelete