Thursday, August 22, 2013

Summer 2013

This summer was, quite simply, the best summer of my life.  That summer that Hollywood makes cheesy coming-of-age feel-good films about.  The one you don't forget.
Barring all of that cheesy nonsense, 2013 was ultimately the best summer so far.  It was essentially one long vacation from May until August, where I got to travel, meet new people, make amazing friends, the whole nine yards.  Bonus?  It was my job.  Being an archaeologist is the best - you won't find a better summer job.  Anywhere.

I worked 10 days, then was off for 4, and, being completely footloose and fancy free for 4 whole days at a time, I explored New Mexico.  For nearly a year people have been bugging me to get out and see stuff - visit places.  I would happily have done, but there was the small issue of full time grad school, two jobs, two church callings, and a very limited budget.  I didn't seem much beyond the neighborhood park for a lot of 2012.  So when opportunity came knocking, I took it, locked it in the trunk with my tent, and drove away slightly faster than the speed limit.


I drove the Turquoise Trail and explored all of its little side attractions.  I drove through the Rio Grande Gorge and finally visited Taos.  I ran amok in the Jemez Mountains and Valles Caldera.  I made it as far south as the Very Large Array and Stallion Gate.  I camped at Chaco Canyon, then camped at Chaco Canyon some more.  And I saw and tasted more of Albuquerque than I have all year.  :)

Of course, being me, I took hundreds and hundreds of pictures.  I edited lots of them.  I deleted lots of them.  And lots of them I am going to post here for all you good folks (okay, three of you) to enjoy.  

Coming soon...  The Turquoise Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment